Pages

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Just wanted to show you what I read the other day from an email.
The first proclamation by our first president George Washington


General George Washington and his soldiers were struggling and starving at Valley Forge during a harsh winter.....bleeding, shirtless and shoeless. One day he announced there would be a day of Thanks Giving and he told his troubled troops that on that day, there would be no work, nor fighting.....a day of quiet and gratitude.


A young boy wrote to his family on the morn that he didn't know what to be grateful for. There was nothing but hate and hardship in his world. He followed with a promise to pray and to spend his day giving his Thanks Giving to God.


That very evening, he finished his letter with the statement that it had been the best day of his life, and that he and his comrades were revitalized and at peace. He didn't see a physical change at Valley Forge but he somehow knew the fighting would be over soon.


It wasn't long after that Benjamin Franklin over in Paris (on assignment to rally the French to help us to be free of British rule) ....(sorry UK friends:))) heard tell of this curious day of Thanks Giving. When the French got wind of this, they immediately deduces that no one would have such a celebration if unless they were winning. So, wanting to be on the side of victory they sent soldiers and charged in to finish off the war. The Redcoats waved the white flag and we became America .......the Beautiful.

I hope you all have a wonderful day to be with your family and friends....and even if you can't be with them take time to reflect on your life and be grateful for what you do have. I am so lucky to have great friends that are willing to put up with our erratic schedule. It may be months, sometimes years before we get together but know that you are always in my thoughts and in my heart. I am truly blessed.

This year I have been so lucky to have gotten to know you all too. I have laughed and cried over the stories you share. You can't imagine how much it has meant to me...now if only I could get my husband to understand:))) but I'm still working on him. He knows you guys better then our own neighbors....boy that doesn't sound good!!! He does listen patiently as a rattle on and on.....kinda like Wilson from Cast Aways.....that's a line I'm stealing from my friend ZuZu from a Cottage in the Woods.... her husbands kind of the same way at times. I think you might all be able to relate to that one?

I want to thank you also lately for the sweet comments. I haven't been able to respond as I'd like but be sure that as soon as I get some time I'll be over dazzling you with my wit:)) haha! I wish!


I want to share a lovely Thanksgiving card that I received from one of my dearest friends Adrienne. You may remember me mentioning her HERE.

Thanksgiving Parisienne style!


It's from an original painting that she did. How did I get so lucky to have such sweet and talented friends? She sents me one for every holiday. Can't wait to see the Christmas one I get!!!!

Lucky girl!!! indeed

see you all soon I hope!

xo,

Carole

16 comments:

Les Cotrions said...

Happy Thanksgiving Carole! Have a great time!
Vale

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

Dear Carole, Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! It's always a pleasure to visit your blog! Hugs, Julia

Chemin des Muguets said...

Carole,

Dear Carole,

Yes, we have so much to be thankful for. Our cornucopias are overflowing with friendship.

Thank you so much for the love, joy and beauty that your posts always bring.

Cheers to all,

Marjorie

Gypsy Purple said...

Wishing you a blessed Thanksgiving!!

Crinoline said...

Hi,Carole. Happy Thanksgiving from Norway.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story, Carole! If ever I really want to win at something big, I'll throw a party first! :)

Your card from Adrienne is lovely! Oh - and my Hubby and your Hubby can be twin Wilsons. There must be thousands and thousands of Wilsons out there! Hubby doesn't understand my little blog, but he understands that it makes me happy and that's what counts. :)

Wishing you and yours a very Happy Thanksgiving!
Zuzu

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

Wishing you and George a wonderful Thanksgiving from me, over the pond in England. XXXX

Laura @ 52 FLEA said...

Hi Carole,
Adrienne's talent is remarkable...love her work and you are lucky, indeed, to call her your friend! And I am lucky to call you MY friend!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Laura

Sammy Girl said...

And a Happy Thanksgiving to you, too, sweetie!

Hugs!
Betty :)

Cynthia K. said...

Hi there! Oh, I so appreciate this info about our Thanksgiving history - thanks for teaching us this. Your friends talent is amazing - that is a gorgeous card! You are blessed!

I'm a new follower - hope you can stop by to see me and I'd be honored if you'd follow me also...

Cynthia K. (Beauty and Blessings)

kjkljk;ljljgjgfuyhd said...

Happy Thanksgiving, love!
Nice post ~ nice friend ~ Wow! How can people be so talented?? Her home is lovely, too. You're fortunate to have a thoughtful friend like her :+)
Love the Parisian touch.
See you soon
xoxo
Franny

BellaRosa said...

Carole, I loved that post, I love learning new intresting facts...I hope you had a lovely Thanksgving :) Ours was nice and quiet...no drama...was just lovely, we over ate, over talked and then ate some more :) I even took that mandatory nap after eating the turkey...actually didn't have a choice, my words were slurred with sleep & then I was out lol darn that turkey it was cutting into my eating time. But I wanted to tell you, how much I appreciate you, and the other ladies, you have been a wonderful friend and visiting your beautiful blog has been a pleasure and a treat..it's ok that our hubbys don't get it, as long as they see we are happy...shouldn't that be enough? :) Besos, Rose

Renée Finberg said...

who knew this tid-bit of history?

and as for your friend card? beautiful.
*as are you.
and why i am sure she is equally as grateful to be your friend.
xx happy holiday.

June said...

Carole I am so glad that you shared this story. I have a real love of history, even though I don't study it like I should. Reading this little piece of history made me cry and made me realize again, the sacrifices that have been made so that I can enjoy the freedom I do.
You are always so fun to come by and visit, and I feel so blessed to know you dear friend.
Hugs,
June

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Carole,

I loved reading your post and the history you had to share.
Thank you for your friendship and it is always great to come and visit your beautiful blog.
I hope that you had a happy Thanksgiving and you were able to have some time to relax.
May you have a wonderful weekend ahead.

Hugs
Carolyn

SOUS LE CIEL DE PARIS ET DE VERSAILLES said...

MERCI A VOUS D'ETRE VENUE VOIR MON BLOG A BIENTOT