Pages

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Bramble and an Exhibit



Last Tuesday George and I took a ride over to Lyme and Old Lyme
across the Connecticut River. We went and had a bit to eat at
brambles sign
It was late when we got to the Museum so we only walked around to see the gardens which I’ll show you
more of on another post.
I thought you might like to see the Bramble
that was constructed in 2009.
I photographed the sign incase you were interested in reading about it,
and in case I couldn’t remember what I read.
more bramble
The lighting isn’t that great.
I did photograph it last year and for some reason it doesn’t
read like it does in real life.
It’s really a sight.
side view
I local photographer used the Bramble as a back drop for her subjects.
ferry adrien broom
Not this one but I thought you’d like to see it.

Biography
Adrien Broom is a self-taught photographer with a eye for the bizarre and beautiful. Her images tell stories, exploring conversations and creating worlds that don't quite exist in the usual way.
Adrien Broom will dress a model or child in costume or elaborate finery, sometimes including live or taxidermy animals she will create a setting of natural beauty in exaggerated form. The word magic does come to mind when you stand before her photographs, as she is able to twist and turn the picture plane to phantasmagoria, she names this series 'Wonder'.
In 'Movement' the photographs of woman in rich red and bilious fabric appear to be floating angels, reminiscent of Florentine Art and in a more playful series 'Frame of Mind' miniature settings with figures are photographed in what appears to be a real world. w - Magazine recently named her up and coming photographer to look out for.

brambles adrein broom
velvet adrien broom
adrien room

velvet adrien broom

pink adrien broom
movement1 adrien broom
Opening October 16th 6-8pm
to November 14th
10 Lyme Street Old Lyme Ct.
(Bio taken from the Diane Birdsall Gallery)


Sorry quick post….running off to see a movie with friends.
Hope I didn’t do my usual typos and
mistakesSmile)) rrrr!
Have a good night!
xxx

19 comments:

Rosemary said...

Wow, that is really cool!!!
Hope you enjoy the movie!!
xo,
Rosemary

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

That's absolutely beautiful, I can see why it inspires such fantastic photo shoots!!

oldgreymare said...

Carole,

I had to go back and look at each one over and over. They are stunning, and the bramble/ramble alone is just, well,... I am overwhelmed. I would so love to see this in person. You lucky east coast gal you.

It did make me sad to think these nature sculptures are not permanent but I'm for environmental art too! Hey great idea for you for PG, starting with this guy, or just this guy's work?..or maybe I should steal... hehe

Hope the movie was good.

xxx

z

Donna Reyne' said...

This is amazing!
I would want to spend the day just looking at it!
It is so alive...A real work of art!

Laura @ 52 FLEA said...

Very Very cool!
What movie are you seeing?
Dan took me to see Social Network!
Have fun!
:)

Vicki Boster said...

Love these - I have always wanted to see these in person- way cool! Love the abstract photos also - these are so intersting - what a great backdrop these brambles made.

Reminds me of a fabulous book that I just finsihed - The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton - I can just envision these brambles being in the garden of this great book!

I am jealous that you got to go to this display!

Vicki

Tamara Jansen said...

Wow! Those photos in the Bramble are just stunning! Love your "quick" post!

Olive said...

That is off the chain!

It's me said...

This is fantastic !! great pictures !!! happy day....love Ria...

Sueann said...

Oh my gosh! This post is astounding! I love the sculpture! And the photo shoot is amazing! What a gifted and talented photographer. They all took my breath away!
Thank you for sharing this..made my day!
Hugs
SueAnn

erin's art and gardens said...

i have seen these sculptures before and i am always amazed and inspired by them AND now i will be checking out that photographer...love her work. the image of the girl diving into the dark water is both beautiful and eery...
have a good weekend, sweety,
erin

Evi said...

we visited the Bramble last year and it is breathtaking.
Like the pictures of the models, but love, love the bunnies best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have a happy Fall day,
many hugs, Evi
PS.To your question..... decorated for all of us.
Next week...baking sugar cookies in shapes of candy corn and pumpkins.............and that is
also not just for the grandkids, but us grown kids too.

Julie@beingRUBY said...

HI Carole
Well these brambles look fascinating.. imagine the effort and skill that went into making them.... amazing.. like a bramble based Stonehenge.. but in miniature.. hehehe

Love this girl's work... particularly the lady in the lake.. fabulous!!!

Have a wonderful weekend.. xxx Julie

time worn interiors said...

What a magical place! Thanks for sharing!
Theresa

Simple Home said...

I'm so glad your shared these with us, and that you included the info about how they began. I'd love to see them in person. It looks like a wonderful sight!
Blessings,
Marcia

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Carole,

What a delightful place to do a photo shoot and I enjoyed seeing your photos of this fun place.
Thanks for sharing and hope that you have a great week.

Hugs
Carolyn

Julie said...

Hi Carole

What a beautiful images!
How was your movie?

Julie xx

Heaven's Walk said...

Awesome photos, Carole! Wow...Thanks for posting them. :)

Are you taking pre-orders for the JDA Christmas mag yet? I'd love to have you sign me up if you could! Let me know.... :) And have a great week!

xoxo laurie

Dee@FrenchBleuVintage said...

HI Carole ~ What gorgeous photographs. So full of imagery ~ like a dream.Hope you had fun at the movies. Man, Im jealous, you get to the movies so much more than I do.