Pages

Monday, October 25, 2010

THE VILLAGE @ The Florence Griswold Museum



A couple of weeks ago we stopped over at the Florence Griswold Museum.
You know….. the one with that cool Bramble structure in my previous post.
The creativity on the grounds of the museum doesn’t end there.
Various local artists were asked to make a scarecrow of their choice
in the spirit of Halloween and the Fall season.



This first one is a scarecrow that I first saw at Jen’s Wedding which was
held at the Museum. These pictures are from that day…..didn’t think showing you
these on the same time as the wedding pics was the right time.
Green man (as I call him) had to be with his own kind.
I think you’ll see why.

The Museum is an impressionist art museum so this
pumpkin man is the perfect homage to the artists
past and present.
more greenman
I took at lot of pictures of Green man.
I thought he was amazing but at the time I hadn’t seen all the other
ones all over the property.


Found it interesting that they only had a picture
of a bottle of wine??
but if you think about it …it makes sense.
apple hue


green man long shot
What artist wouldn’t want to paint this view?



crow maker
Each exhibitor was numbered by a wooden crow and pumpkin marker.
Now I should mention again that we
were here just as they were closing so I never did get a pamphlet of
who’s work was who’s.
I also think you needed to go inside and buy a ticket.
…….we didn't do that either?
artist 2
This one you could say was the crazy psychedelic man.
Reminds me of Elton John in his younger years. 
artist
The glasses are so Elton.

lady scare
The head on this Lady seemed made from wood but seeing it now
it could have been made from a gooseneck gourd or it could
be one option.
more lady scare


big tree
The views of the Lieutenant  River.

huck
Huck Finn enjoying a nice nap with his dog.

huck close up
If they hadn’t been closing I think I would have
joined him for a few ZZZZZ's

metal man
Now this structure speaks to the JUNKERS in us.
The wheels seem still attached to the body then a board is centered in the middle.
The head from some machinery part.
close up metal man


tree


black

The inspiration is from the famous
artist Salvatore Dali ~ Scream

lady in bed
Ok a few more scary people….well not people!
at night in the dark they are…

Zombies!!!!! haha
Come on it’s Halloween!

the village 3
This scarecrow was more the type you’d see in
a front yard and more do-able for most of us .

the village.jpg 2

I can’t look at this guy without thinking of  the movie
The Village from M.A. Shyamalan
Do you remember that movie???
One of my favorites and a must see with a great ending.
If you haven’t seen it, I don’t want to say more and ruin it for you.
If you did see I’d love to hear what you thought of it.  

The Village


the village
Ok only a few more!!!!
This is a long post…..lots of pictures so I’ll keep the chit chat down to a minimum.
haha
scull


pumpkin man

pumpkin man.jpg2

pumpkins orange


Jenn's wedding_667


scarecrow

The garden area had it’s own inhabitants.
plasic straw guy
A few time I caught myself thinking these were real people.
The plastic straws coming out of this gentleman hands should
have tipped me off.
No cell phone for this fella.
clock
LOVE the pocket watches hanging under his umbrella.

garden

A better view of the garden. It was still green then but we've now come close to freezing a few
nights so it's probably more yellow now but the
leaves on the trees must be magnificent.
Maybe tomorrow around lunchtime I might
swing by to check the foliage

moss figure


cleome

monkshood

Monkshood or aconitum....a underused plant.
and a must if you have vole problems....the whole plant is
poisonous.....and most importantly the roots which is what they eat.
And HELLO
 it's BLUE and depending on the variety flowers in the Fall.
2 trees

Speaking of Blue check out this sky!
sky


stick men

Stickmen that greet you at one of the entrances.
stick man

One of those things I always think I'd like to try
making until I realize it's not as
easy as it looks to find the right size wood.

foot painter



foot

Not sure why I'm ending with this painter painting with
his feet........just thought it was cute.

Blogger is telling me that my "post is not saved due to form error"
so I guess that means I'm done and have to publish!!!
I hope!!! would hate to lose the whole thing.

Thanks for lasting thru this long post with too many pictures.
Hope you enjoyed it as much as I
enjoyed sharing it with you.

****
Pretty soon I feel a blog break coming.
Still so much to do and not enough time to do it in.
You know..... blah blah poor me!!!



31 comments:

time worn interiors said...

Looks like you had an amazing day! Thanks for sharing all the wonderful art!
Theresa
aka:TOT

Olive said...

Carole, I love " The Village" movie as well. The zombie scarecrow is my favorite but I am always partial to zombies.

oldgreymare said...

Carole,

I want junker man to come live in my yard with me..I know he would be happy there, he might even run into a relative or two. :D

xx

z

Rust: Vintage Inspired Design said...

Wow....amazingly fun place....love these displays!
xojanis

erin's art and gardens said...

what a fun collection of scare crows!! i think my fave is Huck Finn...too cute. i also like the one that reminds me of Georgia O'keefe (the one with the deer skull and horns). Our local botanical garden usually has a scarecrow display similar to this, but this year they are displaying Chahuli glass.......thanks for taking us on this fun field trip!
erin
p.s. blog break? we will miss you.......

Julie@beingRUBY said...

blah blah poor you.. hehehehe.. you crack me up..
I'm sure you have every right to feel busy and overworked... Glad though you had time for this little adventure.. these displays are fascinating... I love the junker man.. and some of these do remind me of the movie The Village... I loved it.. although it's been a long time since I saw it.. I liked the darkness of it all. hahaha... the fear.. the visual imagery was fantastic.. and of course the overall moral to the story...

Fabulous pics Carole.. glad blogger let you get them up.. Oh and love your shots of the hanging watches and all your shots of the trees!!! beautiful!!!

Have fun... xxx Julie

MJ Ornaments said...

Amazing! Loved every photo, and pumpkin head. And especially Edvard Munch's Scream! ~Martha

Laura @ 52 FLEA said...

Holy Moly! This is an amazing display!
Very cool Carole and wonderful photos!
:)

Tamara Jansen said...

Those are some COOL scarecrows!

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

What a great exhibition, Carole! I immediately loved the one with the rusty wheels, then I read your comment on it and had to laugh. Hi, my name is Julia and I'm a junker, lol. The other ones were pretty cool too though.
Have a great Tuesday!
Big HUGS to you,
Julia

Unknown said...

wow! love your posts! the scarecrows are amazing-that would be so cool to do at our local museum. have to pass that on- thanks for sharing...

Karen

PRINCESSGREENEYE said...

I loved your long posts and read them like an newsletter - your pictures are so great !!!!! - thanks for it and best regards from germany sends Jacqueline

Sueann said...

Wow!! I love all the scarecrows! They are fabulous! What a treat for the eyes!
Hugs
SueAnn

trash talk said...

Carole,
Oh mylanta...this is amazing! Love all the imagination that went into creating such a playground of characters...the details!
The whole post reminded me of different movies. All the photos are so crisp and clear!
The painter made me think of Sunday In The Park With George. He has to be my favorite and I wish I had thought of it!
Debbie

www.MaisonStGermain.com said...

Wow, how creative are they? The pumpkin who looks like he is dancing is my favorite. He has that 'free spirit' look to him;) Hope you are having a great week:)
~Debra
Capers of the vintage vixens

The Country Nest said...

What wonderful eye candy....the way to an artists heart. I have been looking and going back and looking some more, simply stunning. Thank you so much for sharing.
hugs,
Donna

The French Bear said...

Wow, that is amazing and so many displays, the imagination in these artists is incredible!!! You must have had such fun looking at them and visiting those beautiful gardens!!!
Hugs,
Margaret B

Simple Home said...

I loved, loved, loved this post. So many wonderful photos. I hope you don't take a very long break, but I understand needing to get things done :-)
Blessings,
Marcia

mary pernula said...

Oh my gosh! What a nice post! I feel like I was with you. Love the Huck Finn scarecrow. HUGS MARY

Monica said...

Carole,
wow! What a display! And the location was wonderful too. Thanks for sharing these pictures with us!
And to reply to your question, yes, we'll hop on a plane again soon. Hope we will be lucky this time!
Happy Fall!
Monicax.

Dee@FrenchBleuVintage said...

Wow!!! That is wild! Some of them are a tad spooky - but what imagination. I may have to take a ride and check it out. Thanks for showing it Carole ~ Have a good week ~ Dee

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Carole,

I enjoyed seeing all the wonderful Art and what a fun collection. Such beautiful gardens too and must have been an adventure and lovely day out.

Enjoy the rest of the week
Hugs
Carolyn

Tanya said...

What a magical, creative place! LOVE the Frida Kahlo skeleton, and the homage to O'Keefe with the deer head scarecrow! Your pictures are always so wonderful on this blog! Happy Wednesday -

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Carole, thanks so much for taking us with you to see all of these. So much creativity! Loved each and every one. The gardens are a treat, too.

The Village is such a good movie, isn't it? I was just thinking of it this week. xo Lidy

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

Thank you soooo much for sharing such a wonderful place and artwork with us!!!

Unknown said...

Such an amazing place! Thanks so much for the tour. Can't believe it's already time to prepare for Christmas! Crazy I tell ya....

Karena said...

Carole, how fun and amzing and I loved seeing ALL of the images!!

Come and join my giveaway from Metis Linens!

Xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Rosemary said...

These are so cool Carole. Yes I remembet that movie, I thought it was pretty good.
Happy Halloween,
xo,
Rosemary

Candylei said...

I love the pictures. The family sounds wonderful for letting everyone come to their farm to buy pumpkins. I need to take a photoshop class from you if you ever teach one. Some of your photos you give that special antique grainy look and I absolutely love those ones.
Hope your halloween was happy and sweet.
Candylei

leslie said...

Thanks for stopping by abbeyroaddesigns.blogspot
I really enjoyed all your photos. I feel a road trip coming on. I think I'm only an hour or so away. I am looking forward to it.
Leslie

Vicki Boster said...

Love, love, love these photos . You have transported me to a special place of beauty - such amazing photos - as always! Thank you for a wonderful trip!!

vicki