Pages

Friday, July 22, 2011

Old Saybrook Craft Fair

This was a post I did back in 2009 but never published it.
Since the Old Saybrook Art and Craft Fair is this weekend.
( just realized that a couple of hours ago) thanks George.
I thought you might want to see the talent displayed there.
The crafters were kind enough to let me take photos but were very reluctant at first.... afraid that I would copy their designs. Like I have any clue how! but I understand completely.
As my friend Suzan likes to say
"it's a slippery slope"
so please be kind and don't
COPY!!!
I meant to have links to all these artists but when I returned home I got all confused with who's card went with who!
does that happen to you?

If you are in the area please stop by... admission is free!

Oh and sorry for the screwy photo placement.
I can't seem to fix it.
I did some weird stuff on my bloggy back then:)



The Old Saybrook Art and Craft comes every 4th weekend in July.  I managed to sneak off by myself this year camera in hand. There was the usual humidity in the air....that never fails but thank goodness it's in a field with some nice mature trees so for the lucky people in the shade it's not that bad. I heard a vendor here for the first time say to his wife" It's a whole 15 degree cooler back there!" Well maybe they put the newbies in the hotter spaces and the veterans under the cool breezes of the maple trees. 


I decided to take the fair on in a systematic pattern so I wouldn't miss a thing. I looked for some of my favorite vendors in hopes they would be in the same space....not always the case but you never know. I didn't see the precious stone vendors like I've seen for the past 5 years or the photographer that went to visit my friend Paula's house to take pictures, after a customer told her it was her favorite house in Centerbrook.
Sadly she wasn't there.

 There was though a lot of jewelry being sold.











This piece is from Fiasco Jewelry Studio from Griswold, Ct. This was so beautiful and eye catching in person. I wish it photographed as well.










I didn't get the name of this jewelry maker because he was in the middle of a sale. I like the simplicity of his work and the slate he used as the backdrop to his pieces. Well displayed.



This is Susan Fine's booth Buckle Bling from Niantic, Ct.
I thought these were rather fun belts. Would look great with cowboy boots.









This lovely model is wearing amber. Not a stone I knew much about but the lady at this booth informed me that it comes from sap of pine trees....of course it takes centuries to make amber. Not to make the jewelry thank goodness.







I did get the card from this artist but I lost it. The light hitting the copper at magic hour( 4 -6pm) was more just so wonderful so I took a lot of  pictures of them.




















(I missed going last year but I'll be there this time.

Hope to see you there!)

x
Carole 

13 comments:

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I miss going to craft fairs. Enjoy and have a great weekend. Tammy

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

You work so very hard and so I'm glad to hear that you plan to visit the craft fair, Carole. Have a lot of fun and a great weekend :-)!
xoxo,
Julia

oldgreymare said...

Oh this fair looks wonderful and a perfect get away you so richly deserve. Enjoy every minute. Wish I was there to wander the aisles with you.

Now that I'm hanging with these bead artists, I actually understand and recognize many of the techniques! It appears they offer very talented vendors. <3
xxx
z

Sueann said...

What beautiful pieces! Love the copper wire pots! Gorgeous!
Hugs
SueAnn

Susan McShannon-Monteith said...

Nothing like a captivating fair to lift the spirits...
Hope you're keeping cool!
Susan x

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Beautiful stuff! Maybe I'll swing by there and see for myself -

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Have fun.. there'll be lots to tempt you going by these shots.. some beautiful pieces.. and stay cool!!!

I'm off to check out your last post.. which I missed.. ciao xxx Julie

time worn interiors said...

I love going to craft fairs and seeing all the talent of the artist! I would love to go to the fair!
tot

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Carole,

Your photographs are wonderful of some of the merchandise at the Craft Fair, thanks for showing us. Have fun and I hope you come home with something lovely.

Hugs
Carolyn

Connys Cottage said...

Hello,


What beautiful pieces.

wonderful


hugs Conny

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Oh Carole...those belts are fabulous!!
I want to wear one when if I ever get to stay at Rachel Ashwell's Prairie B&B!! Thanks for sharing!!

Rebecca said...

Hi Sweet
You are such a kind soul, I appreciate you!
You left such a wonderful comment - thank you.
This fair looks fun, I haven't gone to anything as such in awhile. I just keep going... I am in the process of taking every single thing out of my studio. packing it into bins and hauling the furniture under a tent, that now has collapsed from the storms going through and trying to combine my two studios. The heat has kicked my booty and I am sick of looking at stuff... I never thought I would say that and all I have to say is I am one sick puppy - just put me on Hoarders maybe I will get the help I need.
Going to start filling up my etsy and I am doing the fleamarket circuit.
Hope your summer is going well
Blessings
R

Donna Reyne' said...

This looks like a lot of fun!
I don't blame you for going when you can!
I love this type of thing too and always come away feeling inspired!
hugs,
Donna