Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

White Wednesday and a little drive around town



Most days after we close hubby likes to pick himself up a coffee.
Most days I just stay here but I decided I needed to take a little break too
and we went for a short drive to my one of my favorite spots.
The new park in what used to be the old dump.
I’ve shown you this place a few times
This year many of the wildflowers that used to be there are no more….or at least not as many.
But that’s ok I still love seeing one of my favorites
Queen Anne’s Lace.





queen annes lace 2



queen annes lace 3

We didn’t stay long…..George wanted to get back to work.
He’s a workaholic…..did you know that?
But that’s ok so am I.
It’s a good thing we work together …we’d never see each other.

On the way back out we drove down main street admiring the flowers that the Garden Club plants every year.
This year the theme was
Monet’s Garden.
I think it’s the prettiest one they’ve done.
We especially wanted to check out our friend Elisebet’s ( swedish spelling)
petunia 3
She had planted them before Memorial Day weekend so that
everyone attending the parade could enjoy them.
I found out later that the other ladies now wait until after the parade because people
step on the flowers.
petunia 2
I’m happy to say the flowers came thru unharmed.
I think it rained during the parade so probably not the usual crowd.

with scaveola

petunia 1

This was the planter next to Elisabet’s.
next one down
I still like hers better :)

Of course it wouldn’t be right to not include the finale to the little drive about.

The coffee!
Nice touch with the cat hair stuck to it don’t you think?
drive_07july 2011
…..boy it’s been awhile.
Hugs,
Carole

16 comments:

Faded Charm said...

Queen Anne's Lace is one of my favorite weeds, or I would say "flowers". They grow everywhere along the ditches on our country road.

I know I shouldn't complain with so many of you burning up with the heat, but we never did get a Spring and now it seems Summer isn't going to show her face either. When the forcast calls for rain every day and highs of 70 degrees in July it can get pretty depressing.

Wishing you some of our cool temps:-)

xoxo
Kathleen

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

Hey Carole, you little workaholic, I find wildflowers very pretty and romantic looking. Just recently I picked a bunch and Queen Ann's lace was among them.
What a shame that people step on flowers during the parade. What are they thinking?
For White Wednesday you should have decorated the coffee with a white cat hair, don't ya think ;-)?
Hugs to you and to the kitties,
Julia

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

Hey Carole,
Long time, no chat !!!! What with you working so hard and me galavanting about all over the place I have missed our chats !!
I love Queen Anne's Lace. It is impossible to have a favourite flower as there are so many beautiful ones but, the airy fairy delicate Queen Anne's lace growing in the wild or a massive bunch in a big jug just can't be beaten.
.....and, your town looks absolutely beautiful. My sister used to be on the committee for Britain in Bloom for her town, which is similar, and her town used to look so pretty. Our's doesn't really do it, but we do have some flowers and hanging baskets outside of the shops and pubs.
Hope you, George and your lovely cats are well and enjoying the Summer.
Will email soon. Much love. XXXX

trash talk said...

I don't know why people can't walk around the flowers instead of on 'em. Same problem here when the bluebonnets are blooming...only these knuckleheads sit on 'em! Don't tell anyone I said that.
Love Queen Anne's Lace. I taught my g'daughter to say and recognize it when she was 3.
Debbie
P.S. I think a little cat hair gives a cup of joe just that something little extra...kinda like a mini 'stache!

www.MaisonStGermain.com said...

I love Queen Annes Lace. I used to teach the kids how to make them different colors adding food coloring to the water when they were litte. Your downtown is so pretty. I never leave the house without dog fur...it just wouldn't be right.
~Debra xxx
Capers of the vintage vixens

oldgreymare said...

As long as it was one of your kitties, no problem that I can see lol
xxx
z

your main drag is sure different than mine......

Julie@beingRUBY said...

HI Carole
What a treat seeing a sneak of your Main Street... we have flowers planted regularly in our local streets and I never think to post them.. Yours are gorgeous and I love the colours..

Well as a reformed workaholic I'm glad to see you guys took a little break from the grind to get yourself a grind of a different flavour!! my favourite!!

Have a great day.. ciao xxx Julie

Exchange 2007 said...

Beautiful!

Bleudelavande said...

Hi Carole so happy you had a lovely day!!!!
And coffee.... I love it me too!!!
Nice day to you.

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

I love queen annes lace too..and I've admired all those beautiful flowers along main street. Pennylane Pub is one of our favorite lunch spots too..

Evi said...

hooray, my computer is fixed!
There seems to be some problem with google.
Enjoyed your ride , the Queen Ann's Lace is my favorite....it's Paula's too.
Hope you two slow down a little bit in ths heat,uggh.
Hoping for cooler weather soon for us gardeners.
Hugs, Evi

Renée Finberg said...

it is all over by my mom's place. {maine}
at certain times of the year hear...
when i would go on trail rides in the country i would see it too.
along side wild orchids.

xx

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Carole,

I love all the pretty flowers down the main Street and sure brightens up the town. The Queen Anne's lace is so pretty amongst the greenery.
Thanks for visiting me and yes, I ask myself that same question, with all the pastries and bread how come the French women are all so thin!

Hope that you are enjoying the summer and having some time off, to relax.
Hugs
Carolyn

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Hello Carole,
The planters look so beautiful ~ thanks for sharing! Our garden club needs to step it up a bit in our downtown!

Anonymous said...

Ah, Queen Anne's lace is a favorite of mine, too! Lovely pictures.
And my cup would probably have a cat hair on it sooner or later...

A New England Life said...

Everything is in full bloom and looking gorgeous! I just love this time of year! And I do enjoy a DD's coffee as well : )