Pages

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

a gift....

How does something like these beat up old porch post turn from this:



To This................................



Well in Paula's and Bill's hands anything is possible. The porch columns were picked up at a Garden gift shop that was going out of business last fall. Paula often buys things without any preconceived idea as to where or how she'll use it....(she even admits that)...... but this time she had envisioned it right away.

In late winter after a bad wind storm one of her arbors had blown down and was almost completely destroyed She became discouraged and thought she might not be up for a new project now that she had to deal with this other setback. Bill gave her a pep talk and made her realize that they could get it all completed in time for spring and the garden tour. Bill is a tool and die guy so he can pretty much fix and make anything. They make a great team....she comes up with the idea... and he makes it. I should say Paula's very handy with tools herself. There isn't much she can't do.


Isn't it great? This amazing outdoor dining room. I can taste the summer corn already!!!! Relaxing under the stars and enjoying each others stories.

A little euphorbia diamond frost peeking thru the wire. One of my favorite plants. I tell everyone about it. It's super easy to grow anyone can have luck with it.

The white painted trellis grid was bought when we were all together in Brimfield last September. It was the end of the day and we were making one last stop to get a blue seltzer bottle for our friend Kathleen that Laura had seen earlier that day. We left Paula in an other booth and while there, she spotted "them" (the trellises) and before we knew it we were squeezing them into her little jeep. The car was so packed with all our new found treasures it would have been hard to fit even a teacup. I think next time we'll take my suburban instead.

This is how she used the other trellis. It's thick enough so you can actually sit collections in it like a little shadow box.

She just has a eye for decorating and can take almost anything and make it look special.

It's a gift!!!!


Have a good night everyone!!!

Carole

10 comments:

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

I am in love with it all, Carole. Some people just have the gift of envisioning items becoming something so beautiful. Would have loved to see the car stuff to the brim with goods from the adventure. Good night to you too and thank you for mentioning my giveaway on your sidebar (I've thrown your name in twice).
xo~Tracie

Bleudelavande said...

Your friend Paula must have special eye, able to see lather on and able to catch the beauty in everything!!! That's a great gift!
You are lucky to have her like friend!
Have a nice day

Mitt hvite hus said...

Hello=)

Wow..its really amacing... you have got a wonderful dining room in your garden... I think you spent many hours in this place...
Enjoy it...

Hugs Kerstin

Laura @ 52 FLEA said...

Hi Carole,
I think I need some of that euphorbia when I see you on Saturday...for my not so green thumb...I certainly don't need to bring my camera....you've said it all and so beautifully too! Looking forward to the garden tour and seeing everyone!
Don't work too hard! Take care, laura

Laura @ 52 FLEA said...

....and I LOVE the new header!!!:)

Anne Marie said...

wow!!

I am frantically looking around where I can do that...........

the old barn foundation! yes!!

thank YOU!

a little work of grace said...

Hi Carole,

I just love the new look of your blog. What a great idea for using the old trellis. And I just love the outside room! It must be an adventure when you go on an antique hunt with your friend Paula.

Laura:)

Ingunn said...

Lovely blog and pictures. And birds too.

Hug Ingunn from Norway

Joan@anythinggoeshere said...

Absolutely fabulous. You know I am loving this. Just great. A major BLOGmance moment!!!!!!

Ingunn said...

The movie the Changling was sad, but not too sad for me.

Very good film.

Hug from Norway to you :)