Pages

Thursday, June 18, 2009

It's a Bugs Life

Ok, Now I'm going out on a limb and hope you stay with me here. You probably didn't notice anything yet... just a branch with a few puny leaves.

..Do you see them now????? I know what your thinking ( and feel free to click me off if you must) ..... why is she showing us BUGS.....I thought this was a pretty blog about flowers and gardens?????
In this business we're always scouting for the next thing that wants of damage or eat our product.....aphids, mealy bugs, scale, thrips etc etc...
Sometimes I'm amazed that my husband doesn't always see things. I'm always saying
" Didn't you see that"
" What????"
That!!! right there!!!
....you know ladies how men are.
"I didn't see those socks lying beside the bed, under my bureau, by the sink???" for a week!!! Urrrr!!!
But he is Goooddd at spotting praying mantis. The baby praying mantis had just hatched and when he called me to get my camera. There was supposedly hundreds on this one plant. I of course didn't come fast enough and when I got over to it I could barely see them. He had already walked away. I kept looking and looking but I just couldn't see them. "I know he told me they were here"....

...Oh now I see them. They blended so well with the bark I couldn't find them, and when they're little they move rather quickly not like when they're adults.

They seemed to know I was there and every time the camera clicked they seemed to run away more. When they are adults their heads move back and forth like they're looking at you and trying to figure you out, but they rarely move unless you really scare them. Which I don't of course. I do try moving them to where I know there are bugs I want them too eat. Unfortunately they eat EVERYTHING- so they eat the good bugs too including ladybugs and honey bees.

At this stage they're as big as the tip of your finger. I don't know what they eat now? teenie weenie bugs I suppose? They didn't stick around long enough for me to find out.
This is what their cocoons look like that the females lay in the fall. When we're pruning our plants before winter we have to be careful not to through them away by accident. We've been able to get so many to come back every year because we don't over spray with pesticides.
I was starting to write about customers and chemical sprays but I'll spare you that..........this time.
I think I left my soapbox back home *^%:) lol
Well I hope you still want to come back and visit.
I promise next time it'll be prettier,
But we do like our bugs around here so you may see more in the future.
Have a good night
Don't let the bedbugs bite!!!!

7 comments:

Chrissy...The Apothecary Shop said...

Those are cool bugs I hate to admitt it but they are!! yes, men are funny creatures indeed...talk to you soon! Chrissy

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Hi Carole,
These don't bother me at all, they're beautiful. We had a couple in our backyard where we used to live and they looked like a fine twig. I'm with you on the chemicals, etc. When the "pest control" guy drives up to our neighbors I hate it. They even leave their cat out there! Room enough for two on that soapbox? Have a great night.
xo~Tracie

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Now if you show spiders, I will freak ;)

a little work of grace said...

These are awesome photos, Carole. So cool to see these babies close up. Thank you for the mini science/habitat lesson. I had no idea they ate the good and the bad bugs.

I'll stop scratching now,

Laura :)

Anne Marie said...

you have such a good garden if you see those -

they are becoming more 'rare'

Rosemary said...

Great photos Carole!!
Have a nice weekend,
Rosemary

Tamara Jansen said...

Thanks for checking up on me and I promise you, I was happy to get your opinion on the pots. I find it tough to figure out why people buy or don't buy the styles we do. It helps to get feed back!

Definately try out those Potunias from dummen. They are upright and compact but they have a great symmetrical growth habit and bloom like crazy!

Toodles!