Pages

Friday, October 23, 2009

Natures simple wonders

Back at the end of August I took a last look at a perennial wholesale nursery that we've bought from for the past 10yrs or so. It's such a relaxing ride to this farm town. I come up usually once a year during their Customer Open House but this year they decided not to host it. They've now decided to do it every other year (a sign of the times I guess). When I found this out I was so disappointed. I was thrilled to hear from my rep who said that she'd be there if I wanted to come for a visit.
What's fun to see plants flowering out of season. Things like phlox,echinacea, lychnis, and many others that are waning in everyones garden are just starting to bloom here.
Many times the plugs(small rooted plants) will come from different parts of the country so they flower later in the pots.
I wandered mostly unattended like I usually do and took many notes and pictures so it would help in ordering for next year.
By the end of the afternoon just as I was getting ready to go I went over for one last look in the shade section. I came upon a tree that I was so intrigued by.
I'd like to tell you that I know the name of this tree fungus or lichens but really I don't.
I found it as beautiful as all the flowers I had seen.
And I had seen a lot of them!!!


I'm sure you've all seen these many times before.

I was trying to rush to capture them before the light was all gone and being under the large trees it was very dark.
Growing there quietly and left there for only a few to enjoy.



They looked like mountain cliffs terraced for easy walking or shells washed up on the beach.




I felt like I had discovered a wonderful miracle of nature.
I was kind of sad that I had no one there to witness it with me...then again they might have found me odd. Maybe it was good that my rep was busy saying good bye to another customer:)
After all I was surrounded by beautiful fields of blooming flowers and here I was staring at the bark of a tree!!!*^#)



Thank you so much for your kind comments of my previous posts.

I haven't been visiting you as much as I'd like. I'm busy trying to get the shop ready for Christmas and getting plants ready for their long winters nap.
****



XO,
Carole


9 comments:

Laura @ 52 FLEA said...

Wonderful photos Carole! It is an amazing and beautiful world when we take the time to look around us....thanks for sharing with us!
Take care, Laura

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Incredible images Carole
It is funy isn't that when we witness something that impacts us so.. we immediately turn around to see who we can share it with. Beauty wants to be shared.. and you have done just that! I now feel like I was in that nursery spying that tree beside you. Thanks for the excursion!

Have a great weekend. xx Julie
[PS rules smules!!]

erin's art and gardens said...

hi carole! oh, a girl after my own heart!! natural beauty always beats something contrived (in my book)!! the lichen is gorgeous, i posted a very similar shot recently myself...great minds think alike...they do resemble shells or barnacles. what beautiful colors. it's funny, being a gardener and seeing many gorgeous places, what i always choose to paint are natural settings...the best!! have a wonderful weekend! erin

June said...

Carole, I am intrigued that you noticed this miracle of nature. It tells me a lot about you and your attention to all things beautiful...but then I think I already knew that about you. I love it that some people can pick out the beauty in things even when others might find it ordinary, while others may not even notice
Ah...a trip to a wholesale nursery would be such a treat.
Hugs,
June

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Carole,

Thank you so much for sharing your lovely photos.
Loved seeing the tree fungus and lichen and yes, sometimes things like this are so interesting and as pretty as a flower, and yet so different.

Have a happy weekend
Hugs
Carolyn

BellaRosa said...

Carole, these pictures came out so pretty, you know one of the tree fungus pictures..the 2nd one actually reminded me of pretty clam shells...oh goodness I must really miss the beach if I am seeing sea shells in tree fungus :) besos, Rose

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

Hi Carole,
What wonderful photographs, yet again.
The first one reminds me of the patchwork fields when I fly back into England and the bark of the tree is amazing. Isn't Mother Nature a wonderful spectacle ? .....she creates such beauty. Have a great weekend. Carole. XXXX

Christelle said...

La nature offre de ravissants spectacles ! Et tes photos les reflètent très bien !

Rostrose said...

Soooo beautiful pictures!
Hugs, Traude