Pages

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Ginny's Open House

Halloween at my friend Ginny's store is a holiday her customers wait with great anticipation. I hear all the time that no one does Halloween like her.
It's her favorite holiday dwarfing Christmas. If you enjoy having the unusual then this is the place to get it.

If you're not familiar with the look of primitive then this may be foreign to you.
I know for me the look took me by surprise at first but I soon learned to really loved it.
I'm never one to like the decorations at the big retail stores. They can be fun but a little cheesy.


Her quest thru the year is to find pieces made by artisians who's look is Early American or vintage Halloween from the early-mid 20th c.









Dollhouse adored with Debbee Thibault's paper mache dolls holding lanterns...sitting on pumpkins....and just doing what ghouls do!!!


Exaggerated pointy witches shoes adds to the fun.


Ginny and her daughter Jen spend days setting up for the Open House that she has put on for the past 15 yrs.


Scarecrow by primitive artist Nettie LaCroix



A bit of Thanksgiving decorations for after Halloween when the witches, brooms and bones are put away. The time we give thanks for all we have and eat a big Turkey.....or in my case
Some Tofurkey.....and a lot of vegetables.


This is the doll that Ginny made herself. I just loved her!!!
A witch in a shadow box dressed in vintage fabrics.


She's looking up at the owl in the tree.


Why me Why me???? she cries
A copy of the witch trials in Salem, Mass. in 1692 where they were burned at the stake.
Just for being different!
A tombstone in the corner and lantern and broom by her side.
You never know when you might have to fly off at a moments notice.

Her Fortune Teller Doll in a wooden case curtained in gauze fabric.
She's holding the smallest fortune teller cards I've ever seen.

She made her too. Isn't she cool? My friend Barbara got to take her home! She emailed me and said she was really happy she got her.
I wonder what she sees in those cards???....fortune, love, heartache or maybe just a long and happy life. We can only hope it's good news.
Only she can see tell your future.
****
The crowds all went home with there goodies and fun was had by all!!!
Visit HERE to see more of Ginny's store at Waterside Antiques.
Thanks for stopping by...
hope I didn't scare you too much!
xo,
Carole

15 comments:

Chemin des Muguets said...

Carole,

Your friend's different Halloween look is deliciously wicked and fun. Boo hoo for me. Wish I could be there for the open house.

Marjorie

Debra@CommonGround said...

Thank you for sharing these great displays. The real vintage feel is incredible. Love this kind of merchandise, I'd just love to be close by.
Debra

Luiza said...

I have to say the details are amazing. The dolls, tha shoes and everything else, has it´s beauty in their own way.
I love them!
But since I´m afraid of all that is different and scary, I have to edmit that my favorite is the second image. The photo of a family(?). It´s made in a beautiful wai on that piece of paper.

Have a lovely an peaceful sunday!
Hugs /
Luiza

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

OOoooooo....just a tad spooky and scary, but she certainly gets in the 'spirit' of things !!! He he. It must take hours to do. but they obviously enjoy doing it all. I love the witches shoes....I have a pair of those ...oops, I've let the cat out of the bag now. Jusy lets say, I'll be very busy on the 31st of October...just kidding. I love the fact that Halloween is celebrated so much in the U.S....we don't celebrate it so much. although it is getting bigger here in the U.K. We have Guy Fawkes night on November 5th, which celebrates Guy Fawkes, who tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament in 1605.. Hope you have lots of fun, leading up to Halloween, Carole. XXXX

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Oh Carole
I just love all of this.. this is definitely me!! A bit off centre and dark!! hahaha
Why oh why can I not be there to enjoy it all too.. the fortune teller, tombstone and scarecrow are my favourites, but really i love them all.. Please tell your friend Ginny.. she is a genius!!! Have fun xx Julie

Rebecca said...

Hi Carole
Love the folkart post! I just went to a folkart show here on Friday. It gave me some inspiration to make some stuff so I am painting right now on pumpkins. What does the writing say on the first picture of the family? I enlarged it but can't make it out. I love the witch shoes...
Must have been a blast to go to.
Blessings
Rebecca

Bleudelavande said...

Hi Carole, Your friend's different Halloween is so fun!The witch shoes are great!!! And the little dolls family too!
I love them!
I wish you a nice week.

Bleudelavande said...

Hi Carole, your friend's different Halloween is great and fun! I love the witch's shoes and the little dolls family! I love them!
I wish you a nice week.

Artsy Fartsy Junkin Finds said...

It all looks geat, that is some fabulous photography, tootles, janna

MJ Ornaments said...

The primitive style seems to suit Halloween perfectly. Thanks for the great tour! Take care, Martha

Unknown said...

I'll leave you with the line my kids always like me to say...It's Spooooktacular!!!!!!!

Hee hee, sorry, I don't know why I always get such a kick out of that one :)

:) T

June said...

Hi Carole,
These primitives are very unique. Ginny does such great displays. This would be so much fun to see in person. I love the pointy shoes!!! This is definitely an out of the ordinary Halloween. Just great.
Hugs,
June

Renée Finberg said...

i thoroughly enjoyed this. i antiques, and halloween is my fave holiday.

cccc

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Carole,

I loved seeing your friends Halloween decorations.
So much work has gone into all the displays.
I love the antique family photograph.

Many thanks for visiting me and your very kind words.

Hugs
Carolyn

Kathleen said...

What a fun place to visit! Maybe next year..I'll hop on the ferry and come over to see it!