Pages

Sunday, May 3, 2009

To the Rescue

Ok, I know you may not believe me but this happens alot around here....my husband George catching or should I say rescuing hummingbirds from our greenhouses. This time it was a little different in that this little guy or gal (how Do you tell the difference???) actually fell into his hands from sheer exhaustion. The hummingbird had been trying to figure out how to get out and ended up at the very peak where it gets extrememly hot. It's happened so many times in the past I've lost count.


He laid there lifeless for what seemed like forever so I ran to get some sugar water. He wouldn't drink out of the dish by himself so George used his fingers to drip water on his beak. He slowly started to drink and came back to life before our eyes. Normally when he catches them they never look this bad. They usually at least sit up. This one was completely pooped out.

He rested on his hand while I tried to keep the cats away that were starting to gather around us. Though I think they weren't even aware of him.

Then suddenly he flew up and hovered for a second around Georges head and then flew away. I scrambled for my camera but I was too slow and missed getting a picture of his flight


Well, that was our excitement for the evening. It was a good thing we were working late or it may have had a different ending for the poor little thing. They are such amazing creatures. I feel privilege that we get to be around them all the time....one of the perks I guess.

Have a super week,
Carole

18 comments:

Laura @ 52 FLEA said...

Hi Carole! Those pictures are incredible!....right in the palm of his hand!.....We have lots of those tiny hummingbirds at the lake house but they never are still enough for me to really get as good a look as that! Thank goodness George was able to rescue him....
I hope you guys have a good week....talk to you soon.
Be well, Laura

Rosemary said...

Wow Carole,
That is so amazing. I have never seen that before!
There is a tiny hummingbird nest at my daughter's house.
Thank goodness you and your husband came to the rescue.
Thanks for visiting me, and for your nice comments.
You have a nice week too!
Rosemary

Bleudelavande said...

That's incredible,fantastic!
This is the first time that I can see such amazing pictures!You and George are GREEEAAAT!!!Tank you very much for sharing and have a nice day.
Hugs

Bonjade said...

Wauw.....you at the right time at the right place........
So great you rescued this young life.
Nice day

Stephanie said...

This is incredible! It's so tiny. I can't wait to show this to my mom. She loves hummingbirds.

Anne Marie said...

Awesome!
We too have nursed birds back to health...and sometimes to no avail...but there is something just so amazing about the 'wild bird' -
Can't wait to puruse through your blog more!!

Super nice to meet you too :)

Chrissy...The Apothecary Shop said...

Oh Carole... that is so sweet, such a tiny wee thing, so glad you were there to help out!! I just love your blog, its so refreshing,thanks!!! Talk soon, Chrissy......p.s. I did get your note,I am going to see if I can get that mag, here, if not I will let you know, cause I really want it!!

Ali @ Betty and Violet said...

Amazing! I don't think that I have ever 'seen' a hummingbird that close before ~ so tiny, with the most fantastic colours!
Lucky that you were there to rescue him/her...

Tami said...

Awww how precious! I found your blog via Na-Da Farm, and so happy I did too!! Your pictures are absolutely gorgeous! Will be back later to check more out.

Have a great day!
T

Piitis said...

Hello Carole!!
Amazing, i have never seen that before! Sveet hummingbird:)))
Thank goodness George was able to rescue him..

Have a nice week!!
Be well, Piitis

peet said...

Ohhh so sweet ! I`have never see a bird like these .
What a nice pictures you made .

Have a nice day !
Love Peet
ps .I want to be your personal shopper !!! Thank you for those nice words .....

Mitt hvite hus said...

Hello Carole...
Thank you so m uch for you lovely visting..I am so glad for you writing...
Wow you have amazing photoes of these bird..I dont know it..Great to rescue the little bird...
Sorry my english..i hope you understand me..
I wish you a great evening..'
Hugs Kerstin

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

What a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing this little hummingbird's story. He/She sure has a guardian angel.
~Tracie

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

Hello Carole
Thank you so much for your kind and good wishes for Larry. Your support and friendship means a lot to me. I have been very behind with blogging and am glad to finally have some spare time to catch up a bit. How amazing, that poor little humming bird. How lucky he was to have you and your husband come to the rescue. Sweet little thing!.
Have a great weekend
Take care
Isabelle x

sylvia said...

hi Carole, what a superstory and catched so well by your camera!! after all it is a lucky bird!!

Tulipa said...

Hello!

Thank you for your kind words!

Hope you have a great weekend!

Mariette

Annie said...

What a beautiful bird and story! Thank you.

Carole said...

This is my first visit to your blog,Carole. I am a Carole too and also spell my name with an e. I was so captivated by the photos of the little humming bird sitting in the palm of your husband's hand. I am so glad you had your camera! Just fabulously sweet!
Carole