Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Time to enjoy life




































How are you loving Fall?  See how I assume we all love it! But really what's not to love?
Besides all the wonderful things about Fall, for us it's a time when things slow down a bit and we get to spend time with friends. The bluegrass concert was something we had been looking forward to for months. It was held at a private home in Lyme, Ct in their 18c barn.  It was beyond fantastic. The name of the band was The Stray Birds. A trio of young talented artists. After the first session we all looked at each other and went.....wow they are sooo good. I felt so lucky to see them in this intimate venue. We sat in the front row and as you can see from the second photo I was sitting right in front of them. It was a little weird at first to be that close but I got used to it and was thankful it wasn't a rock and roll concert where my eardrums would be ringing still. We bought their cd's and have been listening to it almost everyday since. I love bluegrass. A true American style of music. 
I also went to my annual perennial open house. Well actually they only have it every other year now but I still go every year at this time, they just don't have the amazing breakfast and lunch laid out. Their fields are incredible and full of color. I always gets me excited about the next spring season. Even gets me wanting to clean the greenhouses up sooner. We still have a long way to go. I want to get one house cleaned so I can store ribbon and bows in and other wreath supplies that customers can shop from. It was the plan last year but it never happened. 
I've done a little Halloween decorating at home but I've decided to keep it under control. I'm still searching for those pharmaceutical jars and test tubes I bought in Brimfield a few years ago. Makes a great mad scientist lab. 
We've been walking every night with Petey. Something we are all enjoying. I couldn't wait until we had more time to do that. It's hard to find the time in the Spring and Summer. 
I guess I'm off my diet because I have been baking bread again.  I've been making bake french bread. It's not much different then my normal recipe except there's more flour added. Yes more carbs. Not that I've ever tried eliminating carbs in my diet. Carbs are good if they are the right kind. Last night I made english muffins. Now that is really a different recipe. Uses milk, eggs, butter and honey. It was a lot more work but what a difference in taste. I may never feel the same about Thomas english muffins.

21 comments:

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Carole,

How wonderful going to an intimate Bluegrass concert and sitting in the front row, what fun!
Love the darling photos of Petey - aren't dogs great to get you out of the house and take a daily walks.
Yum! the bread and muffins look so good.

Enjoy your Fall, we are just enjoying coming into Spring.
Hugs
Carolyn

oldgreymare said...

All your favorite things.. lovely snaps..you sound happy which of course makes me happy...

The bread/s looks marvelous.. I still have not tried that recipe I told you about..maybe this weekend? It's still in the 90's so I resist using the oven...
<3

Bleudelavande said...

I'm agree with you, you where soooo lucky to see them in this intimate venue, it must be amazing!!!!!
Have a nice day Carole!

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

Hi Carole,
Well, what a wonderful Autumn you're having ....... live music, walks with George and Petey and yummy fresh home made bread ........ sounds good to me.
.... and, those fields of flowers must be a sight to behold. I remember the fields of tulips that we saw in Amsterdam were stunning.
Hope you are all well, enjoy Autumn and thanks for your lovely comment today. Much love. XXXX

erin's art and gardens said...

hi carole,
looks like you have been having fun, indeedy. if you like blue grass then you definately would love the "music city roots" show at the "loveless barn"....just 2 miles from my house...every wednesday night 4-6 bands play a radio show...kind of like the original grand ol opry show. one of the many musical perks living near nashville. oh and i highly recommend "the civil wars"...i have been wearing their c.d.out!!! a fantastic duo with a hauntingly beautiful sound. on another note, is that a rare picture of the inside of your house?!? i love your staircase and botanical prints...sure would love to see more, if your hubby would let you. wink
happy fall,
erin
xxoo

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Petey looks wonderful! As do all of these images... and ooooh, that bread... nothing smells better than bread baking in the oven.. and not much tastes better than hot bread fresh OUT of the oven with butter slathered on.

Been trying to go Gluten free, and bread is what makes it the most difficult.

Tanya said...

Love Bluegrass, love fall, LOVE Petey, love this post! Happy Wednesday, Carole - XOXO

Olive said...

Hi Carole, we like Blue Grass as well but never seem to have time to get to a concert. I love your old bottles. I found one this year at a flea and must unearth it. xo, olive

Dorthe said...

Dear Carola,
the consert in your friends barn,-so cosy a place to listen to great music- must have been a great adventure.I so understand you need to relax now after the summer, and listening to music and walking in nature are both great wayes of relaxing.
I wish you some beautiful autumn weeks-and sends you hugs.
Dorthe

PCovi said...

Heyyy Carole!
That bluegrass thing looks fun! My niece plays everywhere...here is her site you can listen :)

http://www.maggieestes.com/

Yes, I read/follow Kasey...which is how I knew about chevre...I had mentioned her in my previous post.

The bread loaves look so tasty!
See you on IG friend!

Jill said...

Oh Carole, yum!!!! both counts of bread. Homemade Engish muffins sound great, are they difficult to make? And, that concert, well what a treat! I'm happy you're enjoying yourselves a bit.

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

Hi Carole, I'm happy to hear that you had such a great time at the concert.
Your bread and the English muffins look just perfect and so yummy! It's so long ago that I baked bread other than banana bread.
Please show us your Halloween decoration :-).
xoxo,
Julia

Romeo said...

Wow! An empty greenhouse! Good for you!!! Beautiful pictures reflecting some enjoyable moments of happy and fun times! Thanks so much for sharing - you know how I LOVE your photos! Enjoy these fall days!!!

Hugs and purrs,

"Her" and Romeo

Vicki Boster said...

Carole- these photos show an abundance of blessings--
Beautiful skies-- flowers-- good times. I'd go off my diet in a heartbeat for homemade bread!! Love the idea of home made English muffins!
Vicki

Laura @ 52 FLEA said...

Hi Carole,
So glad you guys are having some fun and enjoying the autumn. It looks as if you have had some nice weather...pretty photos! That bread and those muffins look delicious!
Take care, Laura

Renée Finberg said...

i like the idea of a mad scientist's
lab!
that would be cool.

xox

everything looks amazing

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

Love bluegrass music. The title of your post sums it up. You certainly did enjoy yourself. Loved all the photos. Thanks for sharing.

Jody

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Looks like you have been having a great time!

Heaven's Walk said...

You are enjoying autumn in the best ways ever, Carole! Soak it all in and enjoy the cool, crisp sunny days!! We turned the furnace on yesterday. Boo..... :(

xoxo laurie

the old white house said...

You have been the best kind of busy! The concert looks like it was a wonderful time, your photos are fabulous and Petey is so cute! I am still not a baker, but thankfully Hannah is and Max bakes a mean brownie! lucky me :)
love, t. xoxxooxo

Kathleen said...

Hi C! Long time no see. I have been catching up here!
Love the ribbons. Wonderful pics! I can't give up bread either. Nor cheese, but I never let wine touch my lips!

Rainy today, but the weather has been great! My pink snapdragons are going full force!
Stop over and see my new wee one's Baptism!